Tuesday 2020-07-07

advertisement

FULL STORY

WANDERERS PLAYERS ON STRIKE

By Sibusiso Masilela | 2020-03-06

SOCCER – THE going seems to the getting tougher  for Manzini Wanderers as the team’s players are reportedly on strike due to their pending four months salaries.

A source close to the matter revealed that the players took the decision on Wednesday at the club’s training base at the old Trade Fair Ground.

“The players told the technical bench and Management Committee that they will not train until they get their salaries. This resulted in the suspension of the training sessions until further notice. The MC has promised to resolve the issue before the team’s next league matches.  The players were struggling to meet their needs as they were last paid in October. They made it clear that they will not return to training until they get their monies,” the source said.

The team’s Public Relations Officer (PRO) Sandile ‘Ntofo’ Dlamini said the club was currently facing financial problems, but they were  working around the clock to solve the problem when reached yesterday.  “It is an open secret that the team has financial challenges at the moment. The Management Committee is grateful to the players and the technical team for their understanding through the tough situation.”

 He said he was also made aware that the team had suspended its training sessions after meeting with the players.  “This will hopefully allow the team's structures to concentrate on resource mobilisation to meet its obligation of paying the salaries,” he said.  Dlamini further appealed for financial support from their stakeholders. “In this regard, may I extend a call for financial support from all our stakeholders.

Interested potential directors can express their interest to the CEO, while those interested only in providing a once-off financial assistance can do so through the newly-opened FNB account,” he said. The players were last paid in October  2019 after the club was rescued by a ‘Good Samaritan’, who is also believed to be South African businessman.  The maroon and white ensemble is  currently without a director after the  unceremonious exit of South Africa-based local businessman Mehluli Nhlengetfwa last year.

share story          

Email Google LinkedIn Print Twitter

Post Your Comments Below









OTHER STORIES


HIS Majesty King Mswati III has lauded the African Union Commission (AUC) for the African Electro...

read more         

Government of Eswatini, through the ministry of commerce, industry and trade as well as the minis...

read more         

SOCCER - THE Federation of International Football Association (FIFA) President Gianni Infantino w...

read more         

The Corporate Research Institute (CRI) has provided relief to small and medium enterprises (SMEs)...

read more         



World News